West Contra Costa Youth Soccer League League By-Laws
ARTICLE I NAME OF ORGANIZATION
This non-profit organization shall be known as the West Contra Costa Youth Soccer League Inc., hereafter referred to as the WCCYSL
ARTICLE II PURPOSE
a. This corporation is a non-profit, public benefit corporation and is not organized for the private gain of any person. It is organized under the Non-profit Public Benefit Corporation Law for charitable purposes.
b. The purpose of the WCCYSL shall be to develop, promote, and administer the game of soccer, among youth without regard to race, religion, color, creed, sex, national origin or playing ability.
ARTICLE III AREA
The area shall consist of Pinole, Hercules, Rodeo, Crockett, El Sobrante and other adjacent un-incorporated areas as well as parts of Richmond and San Pablo.
ARTICLE IV COLORS
The representative colors of the WCCYL shall be royal blue and white. No other primary colors will be allowed on team uniforms. Certain accent colors may be allowed on uniforms with prior approval from the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE V AFFILIATION
The WCCYSL shall be affiliated and comply with the authority of the California Youth Soccer Association hereafter referred to as CalNorth, Norcal Premier Soccer League (a member of US Club Soccer) and United States Soccer Federation (USSF) insofar as said authorities do not conflict with federal or state authority. The WCCYSL may also affiliate with other youth organizations or youth soccer organizations not in conflict with the WCCYSL stated concepts subject to approval of the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VI AUTHORITY
The WCCYSL shall be governed by its Articles, By-Laws, Rules of Play, Policies and Procedures, except when the Rules of Play are superseded by those of affiliated organizations with the approval of the Board of Directors.
The governing authority of the WCCYSL, whose powers shall be delegated in the Articles of these By-Laws, shall be vested with the Directors of this League.
Section 1. The governing body, here-after to be known as the Board of Directors, shall be composed of at least Fourteen (14) members. For voting purposes, no Board meeting may be held without a quorum of at least nine (9) voting board members being present.
The Board shall be comprised of at least:
5. Director – Technical (Coaches / Player Development) (if paid, forfeits voting position)
6. Director – Referees
7. Director – Competitive Teams
8. Director – Fields
9. Director – Equipment
10. Director(s) – Recreational Teams
11. Director – Scheduling
12. Director – Registration (if paid registrar, forfeits board position)
13. Director – Communication/Publicity/Fundraising
14. Immediate Past President
Section 2. Additional board members shall be identified in the Policies and Procedures of WCCYSL. Changes shall be consistent with Article XIII.
Section 3. The Board of Directors shall be responsible for, and have sole authority upon, the casting of a minimum of nine (9) votes, to:
a. Insure that WCCYSL operates within the framework of the Articles, By-Laws and Policies and Procedures.
b. Decide all matters of policy.
c. Create committees; decide matters of finance and have yearly audits conducted; impose dues and/or fees and fines as in their opinion are required to operate the WCCYSL.
d. Adopt and publish a “Schedule of Play”
e. Promulgate and publish “Rules of Play” annually. The “Rules of Play” will specifically outline rules of play, conduct and other game procedures.
f. As necessary, make temporary rules or regulations for specific cases or occasions which are not provided for in the Articles, By-Laws, Rules of Play, or Policies and Procedures but which are deemed necessary to carry out the objectives of the WCCYSL.
g. Amend or revoke the “Schedule of Play.”
h. Approve selection of coaches, assistant coaches and team coordinators.
i. Remove officers, members, coaches, assistant coaches and team coordinators with due cause.
j. Hold sole responsibility for interpreting and enforcing the Articles, By-Laws, Rules of Play, Policies and Procedures for this league.
k. Act upon any motion made and passed within thirty (30) days.
Section 4. The Executive Directors shall meet from time to time upon the call of the President, but not less than once each month for the purpose of carrying out approved league business. The Board of Directors shall meet from time to time upon the call of the President but not less than once every three months. Board of Director meetings shall be held in such a place as to accommodate membership attendance. Board meeting agendas and scheduled dates and times shall be published in advance and meeting minutes shall be published within 30 days of each meeting.
Section 5. For the purpose of transacting business required by or not addressed by the Policies & Procedures a minimum of nine (9) votes must be cast by the Board of Directors as set down by Article VII with a simple affirmative majority of the votes cast being necessary to carry any motion.
Section 6. WCCYSL Board members shall conduct themselves in an orderly and professional manner, or they will be subjected to disciplinary action up to and including ejection from the Board based upon a decision rendered by two-thirds of the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VIII ELECTIONS, INSTALLATION TO OFFICE, TERM OF OFFICE, ABSENCE OR BOARD MEMBER CONFLICT OF INTEREST
Section 1. Each of the Board of Directors shall be elected no later than December 1.
Section 2. Nominating Committee: The Board shall appoint three (3) members. They are to act as a Nominating Committee. It shall be the duty of this Committee to present a list of candidates before the Board of Directors and the membership at least 10 calendar days prior to the General Meeting.
Section 3. Persons placing a name in nomination must have the nominee’s prior consent to do so.
Section 4. At the “Annual General Meeting” (AGM) each voting member as described in Article X shall have one (1) vote for each director to be elected, but may cast only one (1) vote for any one (1) candidate. Those candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be elected to the Board of Directors.
Section 5. Candidates shall be introduced by the President at the AGM and a short statement, not to exceed two (2) minutes, would be desired.
Section 6. All Directors shall be elected for a period of two years, and there will be no limit to the number of consecutive terms which any officer may serve in any position. President, Secretary, Technical Director and Director of Referees shall run in odd-numbered years. Vice-President, Treasurer and Competitive Director along with all other positions shall run in even-numbered years.
Section 7. Any vacancy on the Board of Directors, occurring during the year, shall be filled by the board. Duration of the office shall be for the remainder of the period indicated in Article VIII, Section 6.
Section 8. If, in the opinion of the Board of Directors, any circumstance arises where there is any possibility of conflict of interest whereby a board member is directly involved in a protest, or other matter, that member of the Board shall disqualify himself from any such hearing and voting.
Section 9. Board members who are paid for their directorship duties shall forfeit voting privileges on all business brought before the Board.
ARTICLE IX DUTIES OF OFFICERS
1. President –(Executive Director) The President shall preside at all meetings of the members of the Board of Directors. The President shall, in general, perform all the duties incident to the Office of the President and such other duties as may be prescribed by the Board of Directors. The President shall attend the California Youth Soccer Association monthly meeting (District IV) and shall report to the Board the goings-on of CYSA local chapter. He shall represent WCCYSL and its Board of Directors and act in their behalf.
2. Vice President –(Executive Director)In the absence of the President or in the event of his inability or refusal to act, the Vice President shall perform the duties of the President, and when so acting shall have the powers and be subject to all the restrictions upon the President. The Vice President shall perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned by the President or by the Board of Directors and shall be the District IV representative for Division IV play.
3. Treasurer – (Executive Director)The Treasurer shall keep an accurate account of all receipts and disbursements and will report all financial activity to the board each quarter and a final, year-end report within 30 days of the close of the calendar year. The treasurer shall insure that bills are paid promptly, that the monthly bank statements are reconciled and that annual audit are conducted. The Treasurer shall have authority to establish and enforce proper controls over the use of bank accounts in the name of WCCYSL and used by approved teams.
4. Secretary – (Executive Director) The Secretary shall keep an accurate account of the minutes of each Board meeting. The Secretary shall distribute copies of the minutes to each board member prior to the following board meeting for approval then publish the approved minutes on the league web site each month . The Secretary will convey to the Board any correspondence addressed to the WCCYSL and will respond as may be prescribed by the board. This Director shall also publish and distribute information necessary to the league constituents as directed by the Board.
5. Director/ Referees –(Executive Director) The Referees Director shall secure a network of referees and schedule them for all league games. This officer’s duties may include offering a referees clinic for all referees and securing payment for their work. He/she shall attend and represent WCCYSL at the Referee Coordinators meetings
6. Director/ Competitive Teams – (Executive Director) The Competitive Team Coordinator shall represent WCCYSL at the Competitive League meetings and shall administer the program of the league-sponsored teams in the Competitive Leagues in accordance with those leagues’ procedures.
7. Director –Technical (Coach/ Player Development) (Executive Director) – This officer shall develop and deploy a training program for WCCYSL and facilitate clinics and resources for the development of coaches and players.
8. Director/ Fields– This officer shall secure field permits, arrange for fields to be set up, taken down and to maintain equipment necessary to care for fields.
9. Director/ Equipment – This officer shall purchase and distribute equipment to coaches for practice and games and shall order and distribute awards to teams, coaches and others.
10. Director(s)/ Recreational Teams – The Team Directors will secure quality coaches and assistant coaches for each recreational team and oversee rostering of players . This officer may be asked to perform additional duties, such as organizing coaches clinics, or dispersing information to the coaches, etc.
11. Director/ Scheduling – The Scheduling Director is in charge of scheduling times and dates for all teams in each division on the various fields.
12. Director/ Registration – The Registration Director (Registrar) is in charge of holding public registrations and performing all registration procedures as directed by CYSA North.
13. Director/ Communication/Publicity/Fundraising – The Publicity Director shall conduct or coordinate communications from the Board to the general membership as directed by the Board. This officer will also inform local schools, local governments
and agencies and newspapers of coming events. This Director shall work with local organizations and businesses to arrange donations, gifts or discounts beneficial to the league membership.
14. Immediate Past- President: This officer shall be a non-elected position filled by the immediate past president of WCCYSL. He/she shall be responsible for providing liaison information that the Board of Directors may find useful. The Immediate Past President shall have voting privileges except if he/she holds concurrent offices at either the District or State level.
Additional duties or clarification of those duties listed above may be provided in the Policies & Procedures.
ARTICLE X MEMBERSHIP AND VOTING RIGHTS
Section 1. Membership:
a. Each Director shall be a member of the WCCYSL.
b. Each team coach, one (1) assistant coach and one (1) team coordinator shall be a member of the WCCYSL for the seasonal year for which they are serving in this capacity.
c. Any adult referee who has refereed at least five (5) WCCYSL games in the prior 12 months shall be a member of the WCCYSL.
d. Parents or Guardians of each player shall be members of the WCCYSL for the seasonal year for which the player is registered with WCCYSL.
Section 2. Voting Rights
a. Each adult member as per Section 1c shall have voting rights limited to one vote per family. The “seasonal year” shall commence on September 1. A list of all voting members will be kept by the Secretary throughout the seasonal year.
b. Each Director, adult referee and team officials as per Section1a shall have voting rights. Voting rights of each Director are not limited to the one-per-family limitation.
Section 3. Any person who wishes to make a presentation to the Board of Directors on a subject which would take longer than two minutes, is to submit in writing, a brief outline in advance of the meeting to the President. The presentation at the Board meeting is recommended not to exceed five minutes.
Section 4. All members shall abide by the By-laws, Policies and Procedures of the WCCYSL and all Rules of Play set forth by the Board of Directors, and all applicable rules and regulations of the CYSA and NorCal.
Section 5. Any league member who requests information, i.e. copy of the by-laws, treasury balance, etc., will be required to put that request in writing, and be submitted to WCCYSL. Any expense incurred over $5.00 shall be borne by the requestor prior to the release of material.
Section 6. Members of the WCCYSL will not be permitted to state or imply that they have the permission to act as agents of the WCCYSL without the prior approval of the Board of Directors to do so.
ARTICLE XI COACHES, ASSISTANT COACHES AND TEAM COORDINATORS
Section 1. The teams will operate under the supervision of the Board of Directors. Coaches will be approved by the Board of Directors; assistant coaches and team coordinators will be appointed by the team coach and approved by the Board of Directors.
Section 2. Coaches and assistant coaches will be responsible for:
a. Training of team players to play the game of soccer under the direction of the Technical Director and in compliance with the Rules of Play.
b. Maintaining proper conduct of the team, its players and their parents. c. Selecting Team Coordinators (Managers).
d. Forwarding information from the WCCYSL Board to her/his team.
Accepting the position of coach or assistant coach is with the understanding that they will serve in this capacity, and as a member of the WCCYSL, for an entire season of play.
Section 3. Team Coordinator will be responsible for communication between coaches, team players and parents. Coordinators will organize refreshments and aid the team in any capacity as designated by the team.
Section 4. Coaches, Assistant Coaches and Team Coordinators will be responsible for additional duties as determined and communicated by the Board of Directors from time to time.
Section 5. The Director of Competitive teams will organize try-outs each year prior to player placement on a team.
ARTICLE XII DISMISSAL OF BOARD OF DIRECTOR (S)
Section 1. New Election by Petition: A new election of “Board of Directors” may be called if a petition is submitted to the Directors at any general meeting of the membership. The election shall be held within thirty (30) days from that date and the new Directors shall be installed the day of the election. If the Directors do not accept the petition as valid, it will then be immediately submitted to CYSA for documentation. The number of signatures required to call for a new election will be 1/3 of the voting membership.
ARTICLE XIII REMOVAL, VACANCIES AND RESIGNATION OF OFFICERS
Section 1. Any Board Member may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of the entire Board of Directors.
Section 2. Any officer who absents her/himself from two (2) or more Board meetings may be removed from his office by a majority vote of the Board of Directors, unless sick, working or excused.
Section 3. Resignation from office shall be in writing and shall be presented to the Board of Directors.
Section 4. A vacancy in any office because of death, resignation, removal, disqualification or otherwise, may be filled by the Board of Directors for the unexpired portion of the term.
ARTICLE XIV AMENDMENTS TO THE ARTICLES, BY-LAWS, RULES OF PLAY AND/OR PROCEDURES
Section 1. Amendments to the Articles and/or By-Laws of the WCCYSL shall be presented and voted on at the Annual General Meeting.
Section 2. Amendments to the Policies and Procedures and/ or Rules of Play may be presented and voted on at a Special General Meeting or at the Annual General Meeting or at a Board of Directors meeting.
Section 3. Notice of intended alterations or amendments shall be delivered to the Secretary in writing. Notice of amendments to the Articles and By-Laws shall be communicated to the membership prior to the annual meeting.
Section 4. An amendment to the Articles and By-Laws shall be deemed adopted by an affirmative vote of 2/3 of the voting membership present at the Annual General Meeting. An amendment to the Rules of Play or Policies and Procedures shall be deemed adopted by an affirmative vote of fifty-one percent (51%) of the voting membership present at the Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting or by an affirmative vote of two-thirds (67%) of the Board of Directors at a Board of Director meeting.
ARTICLE XV PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
Section 1. Order of Business shall be: a. Roll call of board members
b. Minutes of previous meeting read and approved.
c. Correspondence of communications/calendar updates d. Unfinished business / special committee reports
e. Director’s routine reports
f. New Business
g. Good of Soccer
Section 2. Roberts Rules of Order shall govern the proceedings of all meetings and committees of the WCCYSL, except as herein otherwise provided.
Section 3. Privilege of Debate: A member shall have the privilege of debating each issue for a period of two (2) minutes only. The President will have the authority to table an issue for no more than two consecutive meetings.
ARTICLE XVI LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF THE RULES
A plea of ignorance of the Articles, By-Laws, Rules of Play and / or Policies and Procedures approved and published by the Board of Directors is not a valid excuse for violations or misconduct. Violators should expect appropriate disciplinary action by the Board of Directors of this league.
It shall be presumed that all members are aware of the provisions of the Articles, By-Laws, Rules and the Procedures published by the Board of Directors of this League.
ARTICLE XVII CONTRACTS, CHECKS, DEPOSITS AND FUNDS
Section 1. CONTRACTS: The Board of Directors may authorize the President of the corporation to enter into any contract or execute and deliver any instrument in the name of and on behalf of the corporation and such authority may be general or confined to specific instances.
Section 2. CHECKS, DRAFTS, ETC.: All checks, drafts, or orders for the payment of money, notes, or other evidences of indebtedness issued in the name of the corporation, shall be signed by the President, or Vice President and / the Treasurer or one (1) alternate executive officer. Two (2) signatures of aforementioned officers are required. All checks shall have a stub or vouchers, explaining expenditures.
Section 3. DEPOSITS: All funds of the corporation shall be deposited within 30 days of receipt to the credit of the corporation in such banks, trust companies, or other depositories as the Board of Directors may select.
Section 4. GIFTS: The Board of Directors may accept on behalf of the corporation any contribution, gift, bequest, or device for the general purposes or for any special purpose of the corporation.
Section 5. Any officer may be entrusted with the needed funds for WCCYSL activities or business. All payments and disbursements shall be represented by a receipt for said expenditures.
ARTICLE XVIII BOOKS AND RECORDS
The corporation shall keep correct and complete books of account and shall also keep minutes of the proceedings of its members, Board of Directors, and committees having any of the authority of the Board of Directors, and shall keep at the registered or principal office a record giving the names and addresses of the members entitled to vote. All books and records of the corporation may be inspected by any member, or for any proper purpose at any reasonable time.
ARTICLE XIX MAILING ADDRESS
The name and address in the State of California of this corporation’s agent for service of process is:
Current President (see annually published roster for name and address)
PO Box 216
Pinole, CA 94564
ARTICLE XX INTERNAL REVENUE CODE
This corporation is organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes within the meaning of Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
No substantial part of the activities of this corporation shall consist of carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the corporation shall not participate or intervene in any political campaign (including the publishing or distribution of statements) on behalf of any candidate for public office.
ARTICLE XXI DISSOLUTION
The property of this corporation is irrevocably dedicated to charitable purposes and no part of the net income or assets of this corporation shall ever insure to the benefit of any director, officer or member thereof or to the benefit of any private person. Upon the dissolution or winding up of the corporation, its assets remaining after payment, or provisions for payment, of all debts and liabilities of this corporation shall be distributed to a nonprofit fund, foundation or corporation which is organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes and which has established its tax exempt status under Section 510 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Approved: November 13, 2014